Monday, July 28, 2008

Colbert Nation > Leafs Nation

When it comes to the Toronto Maple Leafs I have "Battered Hockey Fan Syndrome". I'm slapped around every year by their incompetence and general malaise, and yet I still come back for more. Last season I took the major step of going on a 3-month boycott: no watching of games, no looking at highlights, no checking scores (okay, I did check the scores), which was a huge decision considering that the very thought of the Leafs winning the Cup is enough to make my eyes well up with the tears of a thousand Cubs fans. I'm superstitious to the point that when the Boston Red Sox won the World Series after an 86-year drought, I actually thought that the breaking of the Bambino Curse might transfer over to the Leafs. Yes, I'm a maniac, but I blame 20-some-odd years of loyalty to an organization that's been kicking it's fans in the teeth for decades. Call it "Post Traumatic Puck-Not-Going-In-Net Disorder".

My reason for revealing the crazy? Mats Sundin, Captain of the Leafs will (finally) be making his announcement regarding his future on August 1st: Whether to stay in Toronto, go to another team (Habs & Canucks are contenders), or retire from the sport completely. Unlike many in this city, I am not a Mats-hating Leafs fan, which is why I hope that he makes the wise decision of taking the offer from Montreal. Yeah, I said it. The Leafs are a BAD HOCKEY CLUB (but I still love you!! Don't be mad!! Please just win some games!!) and the Habs are a GOOD HOCKEY CLUB, so no matter the years of rivalry, I say go to the organization that has actually made inroads to become a serious Cup contender.


GOD SPEED, GIANT SWEDE!

0 comments :