Monday, March 10, 2008

Diablo Cody


It's never made much sense to me that Letterman always comes in second to Leno's ratings. He's by far funnier (hello! "Old Guys with Giant Glasses"!), books better musical acts and I'm sorry, that whole "Uma/Oprah" schtick he pulled at the Oscars was fucking funny.

It seems like only yesterday I was watching Dave interview Diablo Cody, an unknown writer who was there promoting her book "Candy Girl: A Year in the Life of an Unlikely Stripper". I had never heard of her or her book, but she came across as a great combination of funny/nerdy/raunchy. I had every intention of reading her book, but didn't, because that's how I roll (forgetfully).

Anyhoo. Flash forward to present-day-past and she's all "hamburger phone " this and "doodles being undid" that. I really liked Juno when I saw it in the theatre but after a second viewing it was cringe city. I still think the performances were great - props to Jennifer Garner, who I don't think has been given her well-deserved due for this movie, she took neurotic and sad to a new level. Diablo made another appearance on Letterman after her Oscar nomination and she seemed kinda...lame. Maybe I was jaded because of her whole Stuart Weitzman shoe debacle. News Flash: The Academy Awards are a 4-hour-long Entertainment Tonight segment (complete with Mary Hart's creepy Pennywise smile). Just wear the pretty (free) shoes and shut up. Or maybe I'm just jealous because I have no screenplay to send to anyone and thus, no Oscar gleaming at me from atop my television. *sniff*

Compare and contrast:

Before

After

Aside: There's a line in Juno where she talks about Chinese people and the stuffing of babies into those t-shirt guns they use at sporting events. Last week I had a dream about that very thing - but Chinese people weren't shooting the babies out of the guns - it was Glenn Danzig - and the babies weren't real, they were plastic and being shot into the crowd at some metal festival. RIGHTEOUS.