Monday, April 14, 2008

Hockey Night in Sparta

Truth be told, March-June is my favourite time of year. The one-two punch of the NCAA playoffs followed by the NHL playoffs really rocks my jock socks. March Madness was killer and the first round of playoff hockey is pretty much kicking ass...UNTIL THIS HAPPENED:



Message to the city of Ottawa: STOP HAVING A HOCKEY TEAM. They're down two games and the best crowd motivator this organization can come up with is a homoerotic tribute to awesome pecs? I'm one of those people who gets embarrassed when I see people in embarrassing situations (I covered my eyes for about 80% of Borat), and wound up having to leave the room part-way through this, peering around the corner every so often to see if it was finally over.

Speaking of embarrassing NHL-related situations: SEAN AVERY. If you watch hockey you've probably seen this clip of Avery's new "screening" method against Martin Brodeur:



Now, there are two schools of thought on this. "Screening" has always been an accepted part of a defenceman's job and some people feel that Avery was doing just that. Others, like Ron McLean, feel that Avery should have been given a game misconduct (suspended for the remainder of the game, monetary fine and 10 minutes of additional penalty time). I'm not sure how I feel about it yet. On the one hand, Sean Avery is a total assclown. On the other hand, he did his job and rattled Brodeur enough to score on him within a minute of that incident. Read this for a more comprehensive view. Because hockey is VERY IMPORTANT.

p.s. Penguins in 4.

0 comments :